Monday, May 24, 2010

Final Tables (plural !!!)

Since my last post I've logged some pretty successful sessions on Full Tilt. This past weekend I final-tabled two 135-man Rush tourneys back to back. I attribute it to having tightened up a bit and running quite well. I hit sets with pocket pairs by the turn more times than I didn't, which is staggering considering a sample size of around 20-25 and that the probability of flopping a set is around 12%. I was also dealt Aces well above expected value (10+ times in less tournaments), and only had them cracked once.

Poker is quite easy when the deck is hitting you in the face like that, but I think I played well, too. I was able to get away from a lot of marginal hands that I haven't been able to get away from in the recent past, which is obviously very important early in a MTT. This is one of the handful of fundamental concepts that I had begun to stop considering before I decided to tighten my game up. Here's a short list of some others that I think have contributed to my recent success. Most of these apply to early/middle stages of MTTs:

  • Bluff less, and with good reason, and don't bluff at all in the first two or three levels. If your c-bet is called on the flop, there better be a good reason to fire a third barrel on the turn. Don't raise when in doubt. Check/fold.
  • Don't play A9-AJo in EP unless it's late or you're short stacked. I find myself not knowing where I stand with any number of callers on the flop. (Esp if an Ace comes) Plus you're out of position. It just doesnt usually turn out good.
  • Don't overvalue suited cards. Qh10h is really not as good as it looks. Top pair is too frequently 2nd best here, and a flush is a long shot. Even if two hearts come, you may find yourself committing your stack (and risking your tourney life) as a dog. Tourneys are all about surviving.
  • If you do find yourself in a sticky situation with a marginal hand, keep the pot small. Don't c-bet. I think people c-bet too much in general. Check/call if you think there's a chance you may have the best hand, and check behind if checked into. This also keeps you out of traps.
  • I think others are also aware that people c-bet too much, so bet you're strong hands, as opponents won't believe you a lot of the time. You're passing up value if you don't.
  • Pay attention to flop textures and practice determining if they hit your opponents. Use your opponents' position and bet-sizing to help you determine this. I like raising a flop with one broadway card and two low cards if c-bet into. You'll likely take it down if your opponent didn't pair the broadway card, and chances are he didn't. If you're called, however, slow way down.

I know this is some pretty basic stuff, but I think it's what I needed. Remember, though, that in the later stages, there's a point where you're playing for the win, and you have to take more chances with a shorter stack. Most of the above points apply to the early/middle stages, which are very important stages because they get you to the later stages. I think I was getting ahead of myself trying to be more aggressive all the time. There were too many times where I was raising without knowing why. Since I've stopped doing that, I've been able to better identify spots where bluffing/raising is appropriate, and my success rate with bluffing has dramatically increased. I pulled off one hell of a bluff yesterday with air. I was actually quite impressed by myself, and it wasn't even that difficult of a decision. I thought, "Who am I right now?" It felt great. And it's all a result of slowing down and thinking through things logically--not blind aggression.

Or I could just be donkin' it up. Luckbox style.

Who knows?

Gotta love poker.

Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment