Tuesday, April 28, 2009

The Loser's Lottery

Two and two, in my big blind
Flick of a wrist, two cards I find.
I Take a peek, see Ace and Face
The call of a raise begins the race.

Felt-felt-felt, flip-flip-flip
Dealer flips a flop of trips.
Holy shit, an Ace times three
Beautifully, it's quads for me.

Collect myself, return the glare
I partially piss my underwear.
But he knows not my pants are wet
When my steady knuckles tap out a check

He taps too, a check as well
No action yet, have I shown a tell?
Dealer knocks and mucks a burn
A Jack of Hearts hits the turn

That's two Hearts now, I check again
He waits a sec, then bets ten.
Perhaps I'll raise, bet it all
Let's see one more, I just call.

Here comes the river, and inside my chest
my fluttering heart will not rest.
She felts the card, and rather appropriately
it's another red Heart, that makes three.

Whatever the card, does not matter
my swift All-In stops the chatter.
But I soon notice, the third heart is a ten
When he quickly calls, and mutters "Gin."

A glance at his cards upon the felt
And my fluttering heart begins to melt.
It makes sense now that from the start
he's held the King and Queen of Hearts.

The ultimate nuts, what are the chances?
My shoulders sink as this guy dances.
A flop of quads? What a rush!
Suddenly crushed by a Royal Flush?!

I scratch my head, and to my dismay
my entire stack is swept away.
But that's not all, I'm still confused
Why is this group so amused?

A player turns and says to me
"Of all the cards, he caught those three,
But worry not, little shark,
This is the poker room and you're in Orange Park.

It's not what you think, this is quite a feat
The jackpot is yours for such a bad beat!"
That costly hand just turned free!
I've won the loser's lottery!

27 days till Vegas!!

2 comments:

  1. Ship the jackpot! A pokers players dream
    You just sit there in awe taking in the scene.
    The floor man comes over to shake your hand
    On your still weak knees you manage to stand.

    Quads lost to a royal? He says with a grin
    On behalf of the room, congrats on your win.
    A quick video review and we'll get you paid
    A minor formailty, you hear him say.

    It seems like hours as you sit there and wait
    He finally returns "Ive got news, Its not great"
    After extinsive review weve unfortunetly learned
    That the dealer failed to burn post-turn.

    "The hand was dead" falls on deaf ears
    "We can refund your chips" you faintly hear
    What you just thought was your greatest feat
    Suddenly turned into your lifes worst bad beat.

    ReplyDelete