Monday, March 9, 2009

An Afterthought

Vegas in 80 days!!

I haven't played any poker since my last post, but I'm currently irked by a hand from that last session. I've been trying to decide if I could have possibly played it any differently for a better result, and I don't really think I could've, but you be the judge.

The $2-2 NL game I played in last week at The Poker Room was pleasantly light with little pre-flop raising and a lot of limping taking place. As you may recall, I started the session playing pretty tight like I usually do. About an hour into the game, I look down at 4h5h on my BB after 4 or 5 limpers and a check from the SB. I gladly check as well, craving a flop with this holding. The dealer burns and turns J-4-2, rainbow, with six or so players in the hand. I check middle pair with not much of any draw, and someone throws a min-bet into the pot, which was becoming fairly common at this table. I think everyone called to me, and I almost just folded out of annoyance. I don't really see the point in making a min-bet at all here. I just can't think of a single argument for it that can't be countered by a better one (think about it), but since I had a small piece of the flop, I called the $2, as did most everyone else.

Dealer turns another 4. At this point I have three fours, and I'm ready to pop the hell out of somebody's bitchy min-bet with a check-raise, so I check my trips. As I expected, the donktard to my left playfully tosses two white chips into the pot with a grin on his face like it's a fucking friendly game of Tiddly Winks. After everyone insta-calls around like robots with down syndrome I donkey-punch 'em with a check-raise to $10. Now, a couple of things to note here:
  1. I had been playing noticeably tight for over an hour, so I felt a 5x check-raise when the board paired 4's would scream trips, especially coming from a player in the blinds.
  2. I play much more online poker than live poker, and a 5x check-raise online apparently screams louder than in a live game (which I already knew, so this was a mis-step--I should have raised more).

I get not one, but two callers, so, headed to the river, there's about $50 in the pot. At the time I suspected one of them probably had a Jack, but in hindsight it seems like someone would have raised with top pair on the flop. A few hands earlier, though, the Tiddly Winks player to my left had limped in late position with pocket aces (which, again, I don't understand at all), so he was surely capable of donkey-playing top pair on the flop. Nonetheless, I was pretty confident my hand was good at this point, though I didn't completely rule out someone else holding a 4. So, three players to the river, and dealer burns and turns one of the three possible cards that I did not want to see. Another Jack. The board reads J-4-J-4-2.

Now, this is where I lose my bearings a little. I sheepishly check the river, and the TW player shoves all in for about $80. The other guy quickly folds, and my hand doesn't seem that strong anymore. At all. I scrounge for an excuse to call but don't find one, so I tuck my tail, flash my 4, and muck my boat. Before I could ask, "You have the Jack?" the cheeky bastard turned over 6c9s--nothing.

Looking back, I guess my check-raise on the turn did scream trips after all, and he figured he could get me off the hand after the Jack came. Plus he knew I had been playing tight and that I probably wouldn't call with the low end of the boat. But if I bet the river, does he still shove all in? Or, is there any way I can call the river bet after I check? I can't think of one. It was just a bad card for me. Nice ballsy bet, sir.

1 comment:

  1. That is an interesting way to play Tiddly Winks. I think you lay it down either way.. Just as soon as you call his all in he flips over the Jack and you look like you play tiddly winks not him. Sometimes Donks risk all their chips with nothing, but at the same time sometimes they have the nuts.

    ReplyDelete